Go to main navigation
1600 Kapiolani Blvd., Suite 721, Honolulu, HI 96814

Applying for an Immigrant Visa When Your Foreign Spouse or Family is Outside of the U.S.

The pathway for bringing a foreign spouse of a U.S. citizen to the States uses the immigrant visa process through the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where your spouse is residing. When the U.S. citizen partner is present in the foreign partner’s country, particularly if the stay is medium- to long-term as with students doing a degree program overseas, or on a military or professional assignment, you may be better off getting the marriage done in the foreign country and starting the immigration process from there.

Outside the U.S., this process is handled primarily by the Department of State, the agency responsible for operating our U.S. embassies and consulates. The immigrant visa process takes longer than the adjustment of status process, but if done properly the foreign spouse will receive a green card within weeks of arrival on U.S. soil.

Contact Migration Counsel using the contact form and we will get back to you within one business day, or call us at 808-695-3560 to arrange a FREE no-obligation consultation on any immigration question you might have.

The information presented here is intended to be general in nature, and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Why Migration Counsel?

We are licensed immigration attorneys based in Hawaii with over 15 years experience helping hundreds of couples and families obtain permanent residence, green cards, marriage visas and U.S. citizenship.

If you need help with bringing your loved ones to the United States, we have the Knowledge, Experience and Insight you can rely on and trust! Contact us today.